- 1 Press Releases and News Reports
- 2 Recent Publications
- 3 Awards and Fellowships
Press Releases and News Reports
Medical Robotics Experts Help Advance NASA’s ‘Satellite Surgery’ Project
Johns Hopkins engineers, recognized as experts in medical robotics, have turned their attention skyward to help NASA with a space dilemma: How can the agency fix valuable satellites that are breaking down or running out of fuel? See the Press Release.
DSCL Ph.D. Student Sarah E. Webster in the Press
HROV Nereus Expedition to the Cayman Trough
In October 2009 DSCL personnel participated in an oceanographic expedition as part of the NASA sponsored expedition Oases for Life on the Mid-Cayman Rise.
HROV Nereus Project
On June 1, 2009 we completed our first 10,900 meter depth dive with our new Nereus underwater robot vehicle at 11 22.1N 142 35.478E in the Mariana Trench in the Western Pacific. The Nereus project team is from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, the Johns Hopkins University, the U.S. Navy, and the University of Hawaii. Some project-related links are below.
- Washington Post
- Baltimore Sun
- U.S. News
- Fox News
- Nature (2005)
- Scientific American (2003)
- Please see the DSCL Publications Page.
Awards and Fellowships
- Ph.D. Student [[People/ChristopherMcFarland Christopher McFarland]
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship, 2008-2011
- Washington University Fellowship, 2005-2007
- Ph.D. Student [[People/GiancarloTroni Giancarlo Troni]
- 2012 Best Student Poster Award for his poster entitled Experimental evaluation of a MEMS inertial measurements unit for Doppler navigation of underwater vehicles on October 18, 2012 at the 2012 IEEE/MTS Oceans Conference.
- Fulbright-Conicyt Graduate Research Fellowship, 2007-2011
- Ph.D. Student [[/People/Amy_Blank] Amy A. Blank
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2007-2010
- Johns Hopkins University Dean’s Fellowship, 2006-2011
- Johns Hopkins University Abel Wolman Graduate Fellowship, 2006-2007
- Ph.D. Student Sarah E. Webster
- Link Foundation Doctoral Research Fellowship in Ocean Engineering and Instrumentation, 2008-2009
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) 2008 Fellowship for Women in Robotics and Automation--Honorable Mention.
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship, 2005-2008
- Johns Hopkins University Whiting School of Engineering Dean’s Fellowship, 2004-2009
- Johns Hopkins University Mechanical Engineering Department Fellowship, 2004-2005
- Mechanical Engineering Department 2008 Student Award for the Mechanical Engineering Graduate Association
- Johns Hopkins Diversity Leadership Council's 2006 Diversity Recognition Award for Ready, Set, Design!
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Johns Hopkins Chapter 2006 Award for Ready, Set, Design!
- Ph.D. Student Axel Krieger
- 2009 Best Paper Award by IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering for Krieger, Whitcomb, et. al., Design of A Novel MRI Compatible Manipulator for Image Guided Prostate Interventions, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. 52(2):306-313, February 2005. One of these awards is given annually to the Transactions paper that has accrued the most citations in the first five years after publication
- Ph.D Student Stephen C. Martin
- Ph.D Student James C. Kinsey
- 2003 IMarEST Prize for Best Paper by an Author Under 30 awarded Ph.D. student James C. Kinsey for the paper entitled Preliminary Field Experience with the DVLNAV Integrated Navigation System for Manned and Unmanned Submersibles at the 2003 IFAC Workshop on Guidance and Control of Underwater Vehicles, Newport, South Wales, April 2003.
- 2004-2005 Link Foundation Fellowship in Ocean Engineering and Instrumentation
- Ph.D Student David A. Smallwood
- Award for Best Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2001
- 2000 Best Student Paper Award awarded to Ph.D. student David Smallwood for the paper entitled A New Remotely Operated Underwater Vehicle for Dynamics and Control Research by the 11th International Symposium on Unmanned Untethered Submersible Technology, August 2000.
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Foundation Graduate Fellowship.
- Ph.D Student Jaydeep Roy
- Award for Best Teaching Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2000
- 2000 Ph.D. student Jaydeep Roy selected as finalist for the Best Student Paper Award for the paper entitled Structural Design and Analysis of a New Semi-Direct Drive Robot Arm: Theory and Experiment by the 2000 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, April 2000.
- Professor Louis L. Whitcomb
- 2011 William H. Huggins Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2011 Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) in January 2011 for “contributions to the theory and application of robotics for intervention in extreme environments.”
- 2009 Louis M. Sardella Faculty Scholar: Inaugural appointment, awarded in October 2009 by the JHU G.W.C. Whiting School of Engineering for the period 2009-2011.
- 2004 Johns Hopkins University Alumni Excellence in Teaching Award, awarded in May 2004 by the JHU G.W.C. Whiting School of Engineering. One of these awards is made each year by JHU’s School of Engineering.
- 2002 Johns Hopkins University George E. Owen Teaching Award, awarded in May 2002 by the Johns Hopkins University Class of 2002. One of two awarded each year by the JHU undergraduate Senior Class.
- 2002 Appointed Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, January 12, 2002.
- 2001 Johns Hopkins University Student Council Award for Excellence in Teaching, May 2001 – one of two awarded each year by the JHU Undergraduate Student Council.
- 1997 Office of Naval Research Young Investigator Award.
- 1996 National Science Foundation Faculty CAREER Award.
- 1993 JSPS – NSF post-doctoral fellowship. A competitive grant to conduct research at the University of Tokyo.
- 1992 Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution post doctoral scholarship. A competitive post-doctoral scholarship.
- 1984 Master's Cup Award, Timothy Dwight College, Yale University.